Oh, man, this book was a wild ride. I really enjoyed it, but it’s still evident that this was written before Six of Crows, where the writing feels a little bit a little more experienced. There’s a couple tropes that feel a little like they hit the beats of ya stereotypes. However, the world, the concept, and the plot twists really made it super interesting.
Things I Liked:
- The way it was the fantasy version of Russia? Awesome world. The names and language was cool.
- After reading (and falling in love with) Six of Crows, I love this universe. It is very intriguing and very cool.
- The twists man. The stuff with the Darkling, because I was so sure it was going very YA and it didn’t, and the thing with Bhagra and the stag? Amazing.
- I’d low key give it five stars just for the name ‘Sun Summoner’.
- GENYA! Hands down, one of my favorite characters ever. She’s sweet and fun and fabulous, and I fell in love with her. She overthrows stereotypes that being pretty, smart, or cool is mutually exclusive. She got it all and is just and amazing character.
- Alina’s power is amazing okay. I want to summon light!
- [SPOILER] The way she took control of the deer antlers was badass. Like the line “I had spared the stag’s life. The power of that life belonged to me as surely as it belonged to the man who’s taken it.” [END SPOILER]
- I love the Darkling as a character. I’m really excited to see where he goes in the rest of the trilogy.
Things I Didn’t Like As Much:
- I spent a long time hating Mal, it wasn’t easy to switch back.
- Zoya felt kind of hollow as a character. I hope she shows up again and gets filled out more.
- The pacing felt a little bit strange at times. Some parts were a bit too slow, some felt too fast.
- Also the court life wasn’t explained too much. I’m a sucker for that kind of thing so maybe it’s just me but I kind of wanted that.
Questions [PROBABLY SPOILERS]:
- What happened to Genya? Please tell me?
- How are they going to fix the Fold? I’m super excited for this.
- Please tell me they run into Kaz or at least the Dregs in Ketterdam.
- Where did Bhagra go?
- Is the queen evil too or just really dumb?
- How in the fresh hell did he conceal that he was the Heretic?
[END POSSIBLE SPOILERS]
Overall I really liked it! Super excited to get my hands on books 2 and 3.
Overall rating: 16/20